Who We Are
The Green Schools National Network, a 501c3 non-profit organization founded in 2008, works with educators, government and non-governmental organizations and agencies, as well as private partners to create broad-based initiatives and successful strategies aimed at fostering healthy, sustainable K-12 schools across the United States.
Founded by principals, superintendents, and teachers, GSNN is devoted to accelerating student achievement through the implementation of green, healthy and sustainable practices as outlined in our GreenPrint® for Green, Healthy, and Sustainable Schools.
The Green Schools National Network (GSNN) advances the national green, healthy and sustainable schools movement by connecting like-minded and passionate education, non-profit, corporate and public sector individuals and organizations.
GSNN is nationally recognized as the premier partner in advancing collaboration to integrate a green and healthy culture in schools, to ensure that current and future generation of students are environmentally literate as well as practice and promote sustainability in their community.
What We Do
- We are advocates and change agents, working with schools to explore strategies and solutions to greening their operations and curriculum.
- Our board includes leaders of the green schools movement, and we help provide access to the resources and expertise needed to effect positive change.
- We maintain a comprehensive database of K-12 green schools, to facilitate networking and partnerships.
- We create and disseminate high quality materials as widely as possible and at no cost to states, districts, schools, and teachers. Our downloadable GreenPrint document provides a ‘road map’ for schools interested in adopting healthy, sustainable practices on a small or large scale.
- We also work with the private sector, with companies interested in the greening of schools that offer their expertise and services as well as financial support.
- We distribute a monthly e-newsletter to keep more than 8,000 green school advocates updated on recent activities, news of note, and other information critical to the green school movement.
- Each year, we present the Green Schools National Conference, an event that attracts participants from across the nation. Now in its fourth year, the conference provides an opportunity for teachers, administrators, and others to share best [practices, address current challenges, and network with like-minded supporters of green schools.
- The conference also includes a growing student presence via a Student Summit, since we recognize that students are the heart of the green schools movement.
Areas of Focus
GSNN supports local, regional and national professional development opportunities that enhance the quantity and quality of green and healthy schools across the nation. These opportunities include the annual Green Schools National Conference and audience-specific seminars in collaboration with other national partners.
GSNN will develop and maintain a robust website and online newsletter for sharing information and resources about all aspects of green and healthy schools.
GSNN supports opportunities for schools, non-profit organizations, corporations and the public sector to network and collaborate through local, regional and national meetings hosted by the GSNN and other national partners.
GSNN works with other national partners to evaluate policy and advocacy efforts that support healthy, sustainable schools that advance student achievement for the 21st century.
GSNN works with other national partners and researchers to coordinate a rigorous research and evaluation agenda of green and healthy schools initiatives that can inform the development of best practices for healthy growth and development and academic achievement.