- This event has passed.
Science, Stewardship, and Storytelling: An Exploration of Place and Service-Learning
July 22, 2019 - July 26, 2019
Green Schools National Network and Conserve School invite you and your students to a week of service and learning in the Northwoods of Wisconsin.
Throughout the week, participants will explore our relationship with the land and how it has evolved over time. We will investigate Science, Stewardship and Storytelling through Ecological Knowledge, Indigenous Knowledge, Climate Change and invasive species removal. Finally, no summer escape to Conserve School would be complete without a chance to connect with the campus’ 1,200 acres of lakes, woods, and meadows through swimming, canoeing, forest bathing, hammocking, or just relaxing on the beach with a good book. The week is designed so that educators may come by themselves or bring a group of students. There will be a mix of full group activities and opportunities for students and adults to go their separate ways. Outcomes for teachers and students will be a curriculum plan for translating what they learn in the Northwoods to their home communities.
- 1:4 Chaperone to Student Ratio
- Total Registration is limited to 80 – 40 Students/40 Staff
- Registration Deadline: July 15, 2019
Catalyst Network Members:
$275.00 /4 Students Free
$375.00/4 Students Free
$475.00/4 Students Free
- Coordinating travel will be important as we head to the Northwoods.
- The closest airport is Rhinelander, Wisconsin (RHI). We will coordinate a shuttle from RHI to Conserve School at a minimal cost to participants. (Delta Airline)
- Central Wisconsin Airport (CWA) is a 2 hour drive. Rental cars are available at CWA. (United,
- Minneapolis-St. Paul (MSP) is another option. MSP is 4.5 – 5 hours from Conserve School so plan to arrive early in the day and enjoy a casual ride through the hills and valleys of north-central Wisconsin. Jenny can recommend some highlights if you are up for an adventure!
- Plan to arrive at Conserve School by 4:30 PM on Monday, July 22nd. (There are limited flights RHI, so if your best option is to arrive the night before, please let us know and we will make sure your room is ready and there is a shuttle to pick you up!)
- Book your flights home based on a 10 am departure from Conserve School on Friday morning July 26th. (Flights at 2:00 pm or later from RHI; Flights at 3:30 or later from CWA; or 5 pm or later from MSP.) Traveling lunches will be available upon request.