Community Works Institute
Community Works Institute (CWI) directly supports K-16 educators and schools in making their local community the focus and context for powerful student learning experiences. CWI’s work with educators is focused on using the local community as the classroom through the lens of place-based service-learning, sustainability, and social justice. CWI particularly emphasizes student voice and reciprocity in its program design work.
Since 1995, CWI has provided powerful on-site support and professional development for educators around the globe, including its acclaimed annual Summer Institutes in Brooklyn and Los Angeles. CWI’s Summer Institutes are the longest running professional development events of their kind. CWI also provides resources for educators, including Community Works Journal, a digital magazine for educators.
What We Offer
- On-site support for K-16 schools: consulting, extended workshops, and local institutes.
- Design and consulting support for community focused initiatives.
- Collaborative Ethnography for teachers and students.
- Annual Summer Institutes on place-based service-learning and sustainability.
- Resources and curriculum design tools for K-16 and community educators.
- Community Works Journal, a digital magazine for educators.
- Opportunities to participate in CWI’s network of like-minded educators.
This was a profound and wonderful experience incorporating meaningful connections and professional growth. I very much appreciated the interdisciplinary nature of the group. This was an outstanding opportunity and I learned a great deal from the collection of colleagues and collaborators. Now I know that I’m not alone and that there are some other very strong people doing great things! Now I can bring support to the work and passion that I have well beyond concept.”
Scheduled PD Offerings
Teach for Social Justice through Experiential Learning.