Community Works Institute
Community Works Institute (CWI) directly supports K-16 educators and schools in making their local community the focus and context for powerful student learning experiences. CWI’s work with educators is focused on using the local community as the classroom through the lens of place, service-learning, and sustainability. CWI particularly emphasizes student voice and reciprocity in its program design work.
Since 1995, CWI has provided powerful on-site support and professional development for schools, including its acclaimed annual Summer Institutes in Vermont and Los Angeles. CWI’s Summer Institutes are the longest running professional development events of their kind. CWI also provides resources for educators, including Community Works Journal, a digital magazine for educators.
What We Offer
- On-site support for K-16 schools: consulting, extended workshops, and local institutes.
- Design and consulting support for community focused initiatives.
- Collaborative Ethnography for teachers and students.
- Annual Summer Institutes on place-based service-learning and sustainability.
- Resources and curriculum design tools for K-16 and community educators.
- Community Works Journal, a digital magazine for educators.
- Opportunities to participate in CWI’s network of like-minded educators.
Scheduled PD Offerings
CWI’s 2018 Summer EAST Institute on Place Based Service-Learning and Sustainability
June 25-29, 2018 • Champlain College, Burlington, Vermont
The longest running service-learning training for educators in the world, Summer EAST is a powerful learning lab for educators, set in one of the most progressive cities in the U.S. A week of inspiration and expert training, amid the breathtaking summer landscape of northern Vermont.
CWI’s 2018 Summer WEST Institute on Place Based Service-Learning and Sustainability
July 23-27, 2018 • Otis College of Art and Design, Los Angeles, California
An immersion for K-16 educators in CWI’s acclaimed learning lab, using one of the world’s most vibrant and culturally rich urban settings as our classroom. An exceptional week of transformative professional development, program design, and networking.
CWI’s East Asia Institute on Place Based Service-Learning and Sustainability
August 2018 • Korean International School, Seoul, South Korea